Saturday, March 13, 2010

When in Oz..

I had told myself I'd keep this blog updated consistently through my stay here. I lied. Not that I don't have the time to, just I think I've ran out of things to say. I guess I could update it daily with what I actually did each day, but that'd be too much of a Dear Diary entry, n'est pas moi.

Just a couple of random things I've noticed here a month and a half into my exchange:
  • It's very hard driving on the other side of the road especially when the wheel is on the other side too. I kept swerving left, I actually had to use my side mirrors for once
  • House music is very big here.. I sorta miss the mainstream top 40 stuff
  • Everyone loves a Canadian
  • I've spoken more French here than I have in the past 5 years, it all comes back to me with the help of bzzr
  • I actually say "about" differently
  • You can definitely burn on an overcast day, they weren't kidding about the nonexistent ozone
  • Pop here is beyond expensive.. $15 for a 12 pack
  • Toilet paper is also expensive
  • Wine is not expensive
  • No one uses the word "washroom"...
  • "G'day mate" is not used that commonly actually
  • Female tactics to get into clubs back home do not work that well here
  • I hate the bouncers at Billboard, enough said.
  • Beer is way too expensive here. $8-9/pint at clubs and bars
  • I'm never going to drink wine again after this
  • People don't chug, they skull
  • Vancouver's weather is nothing compared to the crazy shit that can go on here
  • What you pay for internet access here is a joke. I miss my fast cable..
  • Melbourne has extremely fit people, moreso than Vancouver it seems
  • Short shorts are in fact fashionable and widely accepted..even if you're fat and it causes a wedgy, or maybe not.
  • There are so many smokers here. Women smokers are still a turn off
  • American Idol is actually shown here, up to date too
  • I'm surprisingly not homesick at all
  • I HATE ECOLOGY, EVEN IN AUSTRALIA. HATE HATE HATE.
  • My goal is to kill a cane toad, it's illegal to NOT kill it if you're in possession of one :) I've learned so much about the Bufo marinus.
I guess I'll be adding more to this list as time goes on. Until then, off to the beach I go before it gets too cold here.

This is one of the reasons why I came to Australia, you just can't see anything like this anywhere else. The picture does it no justice, the colours of the water were simply amazing, it was a breathtaking view, believe me:
Phillip Island

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you can watch American Idol! Any favourites yet? I'm actually a fan of Aaron Kelly. His rendition of "I'm Already There" was actually quite good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, has it been a month and a half already? O__o"

    ReplyDelete