Sunday, August 5, 2012

Some thoughts...

Leaving Vancouver was a big step in itself. I got absolutely no sleep as I frantically packed the entire night. Some friends came over throughout the night to wish me away, including my last meal of Indian food. It felt so good.

Airport. Good byes were said to the family. I know my mom will be taking this hard. I also know she doesn't want me going deep down because I'm her one and only son. She'll miss me, and I think I am ready to admit now that I'll also miss all those little comforts of home. I never thought I'd ever get homesick, ever, but here I am. Sitting here typing, and I get these pangs of "I wish I were home" moments. It's boggling to me to know that I'll be 25 when I return. 25. Holy shit. I didn't even think I'd make it to 24 at the rate I was going a few years ago, but 25 is a scary year.

Boston. Came and went just like that. I definitely needed 23817293123 more hours in this city. Hell, I'm not even living in Boston but a city outside of it, Andover. Caroline's family kindly took me in and I am so thankful I had this stopover before Norway. If I had to leave straight from Vancouver to Norway, I don't think the transition would have been that easy. I walked a bit of Boston during my time here, went to Fenway Park where I still don't really quite understand the immensely popularity of Baseball in America, and spent a nice day with her family. All in all, a good little reprieve from the chaos my life had been for the past two months.

I leave for Norway soon. Under 2 hours to be exact where I'll have an 8 hour stopover in Iceland..except it's from 11:40pm - 8:00am. The kicker? I'm not allowed to sleep in the airport, apparently it's..uh..illegal. Damn it.

So there we have it. Nelson on his way to get a MSc in a place where he knows no one. A completely blank slate awaits me. Now it's up to me to decide how I want to be portrayed there.. Apparently Norwegians don't enjoy the self deprecating humour I am known for, nor the sarcastic angry comments that I am also known for. I'll keep this blog updated from time to time, it'll serve me well in the future when I look back on all of this. Hopefully in two years there's going to be some immense growth in me and I can look back at all of these fears and laugh. Or not.

Crap, I'm going to miss hockey so much..

No comments:

Post a Comment