Sunday, January 31, 2010

Au revoir

It's starting to hit right now that I'm actually going to be gone in about 24 hours. I'm not ready. Nothing's packed..literally, just t-shirts. I have lists made, I have stuff I keep trying to remind myself to bring.. It's all a bit too much. Throw in my mother's nagging and it gets even more chaotic. This excitement is starting to wear off.

Now I just want tomorrow, 4:20pm, to come. I'll be at the airport, with all my bags stuffed full, hopefully under 50 pounds each.. and then it's bye bye rainy Vancouver, hello sunny Melbourne. Many have asked me just why I'm choosing Australia of all places to go on exchange to. My answer is simply, because of grade 4. Those who went to elementary school with me may realise the significance of this year. This country's enthralled me for over 10 years and despite the cost of living being so much more than Vancouver ($1100/month rent!!), I'm going to take it all in. I might be down there for grad school, who knows? The accents are also a bonus.

Thanks guys for showing up, last minute and all. I won't make it all sappy, but it's nice to still see all of us DT kids (most of us anyways..) can have a 2+ hour dinner with no awkwardness. Perhaps in 5 years this won't be the case, but until then, it's always a good feeling to have such a core group of friends there despite all of us being in such different post-secondary paths. Graduation's coming up in a little under a year, but I won't think about that just yet. We'll always have Facebook if I start missing any of you ;) Here's to me hopefully coming back with a faux-Aussie accent.. I'm going to try my best (and most likely fail). Like I've been saying to some people recently: stay safe and don't make babies.

3 comments: